Acoustics LabThe new acoustics lab features a 1:2 (half-size) reverberation chamber designed in accordance with International Standards ISO 354 and ISO 17497-1. The chamber has a volume of 1200 c.f. and has several stationary suspended diffusing panels and a skewed geometry to promote a uniform sound field and reduce the propensity for forming standing waves.
In addition to the chamber, the acoustics lab is outfitted with a wide array of state-of-the-art acoustic and signal processing equipment and software capable of taking measurements ranging from obtaining binaural impulse responses to quantifying material absorption coefficients.
The main research thrust of the acoustics lab is currently focused on acoustic scattering. An investigation is underway in which the scattering characteristics of 2-D surfaces exhibiting fractal geometries are assessed. The 2-D diffuser type is useful in spaces with high sound pressure levels and low-frequency concerns, such as those most often seen in the ubiquitous multipurpose performing arts spaces being built in this time of economic mindfulness.
Additional research areas are possible through the acoustics lab, including architectural acoustics, musical acoustics, engineering acoustics, physical acoustics, electro-acoustics, psycho-acoustics, and noise control.
acoustics lab hardware
- Lenovo ThinkCentre M55 PC (Qty: 1)
- ThinkPad X61 Tablet PC (Qty: 1)
- Bruel & Kjaer Type 2250 Analyzer with Frequency Analysis, FFT Analysis, and Sound Recording software modules (Qty: 1)
- Bruel & Kjaer Type 4942 1/2" Diffuse-Field Microphone (Qty: 1)
- Bruel & Kjaer Type 4942 Omnipower Sound Source (Qty: 2)
- Crown XTi Series 700W Power Amplifier (Qty: 1)
- Earthworks M30 Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone (Qty: 2)
- Earthworks M30-BX Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone - Self Powered (Qty: 2)
- EASERA GATEWAY Data Acquisition System (Qty: 2)
- Canon Digital Rebel XT SLR Camera
acoustics lab software
- Adobe CS3 Design Premium
- EASE 4.0: Electro-Acoustic Simulator for Engineers
- EASERA: Electronic & Acoustic System Evaluation & Response Analysis
- MATLAB 6.0 (Signal Processing Toolbox 6.7)
- Mathematica 4.1
- Pro/ENGINEER Enterprise XE